I have been having so much fun gathering inspiration and getting started on Maddox’s toddler train room. I hope to create a space for him that is masculine with a polished base that can easily be changed and updated as he gets older. He has an intense love of trains, so naturally, his room will reflect that.
We are moving him into our guest room, which currently has a white iron full size bed, gray walls and wood floors. The bed is slightly feminine, but to keep the budget in check, we decided to keep the bed for now. I’m hoping to make the rest of his room masculine enough that it won’t matter. I also don’t want to embark on a paint job for the room as I just painted it a little over a year ago, so the gray will stay!
On to the plans:
Dresser Source | Bookshelf Source | Quilt Source | Toy Basket Source
Most of the inspiration came from of course Pinterest, Pottery Barn Kids and Restoration Hardware Kids. A lot of this is just that, inspiration, I will be attempting to recreate some of the more expensive items, for less, like this gorgeous industrial toy bin from RH.
What We Have:
1. We already have a train quilt I purchased form Pottery Barn Kids last year, so we are sticking with that for his bedding!
2. A white iron bed, dresser and nightstand that we need to repaint.
3. Pottery Barn anywhere chair for a reading corner.
1. We currently have a white nightstand and a natural wood dresser. I plan to paint both of these a gray that is a shade or two darker than the walls, hoping to create a clean and somewhat monochromatic look.
2. Photography: My hubby works for the railroad, so I’m going to spend an afternoon with him snapping pictures of trains, tracks and signals. I plan to print these in black and white and make my own mod podge canvas prints.
3. Bookshelf – The room is somewhat small so instead of adding another piece of furniture, I am going to purchase several of these IKEA spice racks and create a built in bookshelf. I’m thinking of painting them red or navy to add a little color to the mostly gray room.
What We Need:
1. I am in search of an afforable light up marquee of the letter ‘M’ to go behind his bed with some of the black and white prints. I just may go with this one.
2. Industrial wire baskets to hold toys, overflow of books, etc. The Restoration Hardware ones are beautiful, but crazy expensive. I’m thinking of checking out Home Goods or Ebay for some deals!
3. Transportation play mat from IKEA. I’m thinking of using this as a Christmas Gift for him. This will be one of the fun accents to the room that will make it more age appropriate.
4. This railway sign lamp. Waiting for a sale or a good coupon on this one :). This just may be another Christmas present.
I’m sure as we go along I will find things we need/don’t need and decide to keep or get rid of some of these ideas. Here’s to hoping I can get this done and the nursery organized and back together before March!
Thanks for reading!